Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Do you have $15? Then you have a great Spanish tempranillo

I love wine, but I also have a budget. The two forces are mortal enemies in constant conflict with one another. Grand Cru burgundies and Jaboulet Cote Rotie's call to me, and my budget screams, "No! Sortez d'ici!" I guess that's why I have so much fun trying to track down great wines at reasonable prices. You have to know where to look and what to look for, because there is a lot of boring wines out there waiting to let you down. (And, in my mind, nothing is worse than a boring wine.)

In my quest for wine bargains, I'm always on the lookout for sub-$20 reds to have with dinner on weeknights, a lazy Sunday with a book or while I'm sitting on the couch watching boxing. Thing is, I want my wine to be good. The 2007 vintage of Aneccop's "El Molinet" is just that wine. This wine is a tempranillo-based blend from Spain's Valencia region. I picked it up at Calvert Woodley in Washington, DC, for a whopping $15. I'd tasted a previous vintage and enjoyed it, so I thought it was worth a try.

My tasting notes...

2007 Anecoop Valencia El Molinet (Spain, Valencia)this wine has expressive aromatics, although it needed some time in the glass to show it's full stuff: blueberries, red plums, tobacco, and an aroma that reminds me of violets. on the palate, this has tangy acid, solid tannins and gushing red plum fruit. it's an elegant and balanced wine, and i'm really impressed by the overall quality. all the parts are in the right place. the smooth oak and vanilla adds a roundness to the mouthfeel. some dark chocolate shavings on the finish, also some grippy tannins. anyone with a palate will enjoy this wine. this should show well for a few more years, but why wait? it's showing wonderfully right now. 90 points - IJB

So, do yourself a favor: take $15 (c'mon, that's like 2.5 Starbucks drinks), buy this wine, sit down on a weeknight when you're watching Seinfeld re-runs and pour yourself a glass. I dare you not to enjoy yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time looking for a great wine with affordable price. Thanks for posting your ideas! Great blog! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That grenache you linked to sounds good.

    ReplyDelete