Friday, August 5, 2011

$21 Got me a Great Super Tuscan Red

2007 Argiano Non Confunditur Toscana IGT (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT) 

I can't believe how good this $21 wine is. I love this Super Tuscan wine, and it really outdoes its price point.

This wine is gorgeous in the glass, bright purple. it's a screwcap, so I'll admit, I wasn't expecting something amazing. But don't be fooled, because this is a seroius wine. The nose is dense and sexy, with aromas of currants, plums, meat and loam. This wine smells like a raspberry bush in the woods, sweet but so earthy. The palate is really bright. Right from the start, this wine coats the palate with fruit and acid. The tannins are like coffee grounds. It's really an incredible mouthfeel. It must be noted: this wine contains oak. That's the disclaimer. I think it has enough acid and tannins to balance out, but some traditionalists might find this too oaky. The flavors linger long on the finish, which ends with a touch of dark chocolate and toasted marshmallow. I'll admit, I haven't had many 2007 Super Tuscans, but this is an absolute steal at $21!
90pts

This wine was purchased from Bassin's in Washington, DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment