Tuesday, July 11, 2017

2012 + Siduri + Hirsch Vineyard = Excellence

2012 was a wonderful vintage in Sonoma, producing bold, structured, deep wines. Siduri is a long-time producer of the highest order. And the Hirsch Vineyard, located in the coastal Sonoma appellation of Fort Ross-Seaview, is home to some stunning Pinot Noir. Combine the three, and I knew I was in for one hell of a good wine.

It did not disappoint. I visited Siduri a few years ago for an extensive tasting, and had a total blast (
my post can be found here). This was the last bottle I brought back from that tasting some four years ago, and I'm glad I held onto it. The wine has at least a few more years of development, but it showed wonderfully. I picked it up for $55, so it wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.

2012 Siduri Pinot Noir Hirsch Vineyard - California, Sonoma County, Fort Ross - Seaview
Dark ruby color. Aromas of juicy red currants, cherries, mixed with rhubarb, wild herbs, creosote, clove, pepper, lots going on! Medium/full-bodied with plenty of weight and structure but the tannins are accessible and the acidity is fresh. Plump but tangy red an black cherry fruit, along with clove, rose petals, rhubarb, spicy herbs. Hints of mushroom and sage will peek out more with time, this will be even better in three years or so but still very good now. (92 points)



No comments:

Post a Comment